Release date ;)

• Thread starter MrAdam89
  • 234 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be very surprised if it is not Nov-Dec. I knew once it got delayed even if the game is complete they will still release it at the end of the year only.

I will be very surprised if it is not Nov-Dec. I knew once it got delayed even if the game is complete they will still release it at the end of the year only.
Curious as to how you knew that.

Holiday makes sense from a sales point of view. Will depend on when other racers release of course. But GT is big enough that it would overshadow most and those other developers would work around a GT release.

March 28th is the release date for the release date.
August 15th is the Update to the release date.
November 21st is the Delay to the update of the release date.
Jan 9th 2018* Update on 1Q release.
*Subjected to change.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Nobody would do that. Games release when they're ready, give or take a week or two for scheduling reasons. If the game were complete in March they aren't going to sit on it for 9 months. That would be financial idiocy.

(Shaking magic 8 ball) Will GTS be released in my lifetime ... awaiting answer .... hmph, inconclusive.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Nobody would do that. Games release when they're ready, give or take a week or two for scheduling reasons. If the game were complete in March they aren't going to sit on it for 9 months. That would be financial idiocy.

Except for Super Mario Odyssey for the Nintendo Switch. The game is done, or very close to being done but it's not releasing until this Holiday to take advantage of Holiday sales.

GT Sport releasing Holiday 2017 would be a total bummer for me.

The whole saga has went on so long that it's really struggling to hold my interest.

Yeah. Real shame all this.

The original plan of basically a year from announce to release was super reasonable.
The fact that it's all gone to pot, and delayed interminably beyond a concrete date to a nebulous nothing, all the while teasing the same old tracks with tiny tiny improvements has resulted in just mass cynicism from the fans and utter disinterest from everyone else.

Quite the fail.

Last edited:
Holiday makes sense from a sales point of view. Will depend on when other racers release of course. But GT is big enough that it would overshadow most and those other developers would work around a GT release.

I'm assuming you mean other first-party developers on PS4, right? Considering the game has a nebulous 12-month release window—and the franchise itself has a long history of delays—I don't think the competition would really care to move their actually-complete games away from a potential GT release date.

For example: barring its own delays (and those are just as likely as GT's, really), I don't foresee PCARS2 moving away from "Septemberish" if GT Sport were to suddenly plant its flag in that month. Similarly, if FM7 is coming around then, there's no way Microsoft will back away. In fact, they've already launched a game close to a GT release back in 2013.

Either way, I'm really excited about this year, and we're barely a full month in. :D

Yeah. Real shame all this.

The original plan of basically a year from announce to release was super reasonable.
The fact that it's all gone to pot, and delayed interminably beyond a concrete date to a nebulous nothing, all the while teasing the same old tracks with tiny tiny improvements has resulted in just mass cynicism from the fans and utter disinterest from everyone else.

Total fail.

I feel the same way. A year is perfectly acceptable: Star Wars VII did it.

But look at where we've gone since the original 2015 announcement: we know almost nothing more about the FIA championship—while other games are nabbing various FIA licenses of their own. The demo promised early 2016? Cancelled, though we didn't find out for sure until the end of May. The party line was that it was cancelled to maintain the November release date. While that was in itself a little odd—Polyphony must've known a demo would add to development time—it seemed completely superfluous once the game itself was delayed. And not just by a few months: we have no idea when in 2017 it will land.

That's the opposite of progress, I'd say. It's all so frustrating to see, especially after all the talk that the PS4 was so much easier to work with. If the game releases in December, it will actually arrive on this generation later than GT5 did after PS3's release. And that game at least had GTHD and GT5P to whet appetites beforehand (though I suppose GT6 did launch three weeks after PS4).

So far, the only really solid detail I've got in my head about GT Sport is that it looks good. Really, very good. Which is more or less expected of a GT game—Polyphony are wizards in that regard—but it's also increasingly the only USP the franchise has.

Do they need money? Can we still consider them as video game dev? Maybe they make (a little) money by working with the car industry? I can't believe there are 200 employees working on GTSport when every dev can make a good game in two years.

@SlipZtrEm I have the feeling that GT Sport has a very difficult development proces and that there is a huge struggle between Sony and PD (internal politics / cockfighting) on where to take the series. The other worrying part is that nothing new has been shown for months and months. There are always the same handful of tracks with a decent bunch of cars. How does Sony or PD expect to fans keep interested in a series that so far only excists of a demo (public events) and some minor news on the web?

Could GT Sport be cancelled just like my mighty Scalebound did? Will Sony set things straight, skip PS4 and move directly to PS5 for the Gran Turismo series? I don't know but at this point it wouldn't even surprise me anymore.

I'm assuming you mean other first-party developers on PS4, right? Considering the game has a nebulous 12-month release window—and the franchise itself has a long history of delays—I don't think the competition would really care to move their actually-complete games away from a potential GT release date.

For example: barring its own delays (and those are just as likely as GT's, really), I don't foresee PCARS2 moving away from "Septemberish" if GT Sport were to suddenly plant its flag in that month. Similarly, if FM7 is coming around then, there's no way Microsoft will back away. In fact, they've already launched a game close to a GT release back in 2013.

Either way, I'm really excited about this year, and we're barely a full month in. :D

True but P CARS kept moving its release date away from GTA V. As GTA V's date was moved, as was P CARS'. Granted, Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto aren't on the same level, but you get my point. :)

Nope... it's a trailer...
A demo is a software with limited features you can use to get you a taste of the final product and push you to buy it...
A Trailer is simply a trailer...
demo is short for demonstration. a word has more than one meaning or use.

dem·on·stra·tion
ˌdemənˈstrāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: demonstration; plural noun: demonstrations
  1. 1.
    the action or process of showing the existence or truth of something by giving proof or evidence.
    "it is not capable of mathematical demonstration"
    synonyms: proof, substantiation, confirmation, affirmation, corroboration, verification, validation; More
    evidence, indication, witness, testament
    "his book is a brilliant demonstration of this thesis"
  2. 2.
    a public meeting or march protesting against something or expressing views on a political issue.
    synonyms: protest, march, rally, lobby, sit-in, counterdemonstration; More
    stoppage, strike, walkout, picket (line);
    informaldemo
    "an anti-racism demonstration"

I don't think, unless someone can show me otherwise, other developers are scared to release a car game at the same time as a GT. Respect, yes, but I think they are confident in their products to release them whenever.

I don't know how many people went out and bought an XBONE, FM6 & FH3 and AC and PCars, PS4 & AC and PCars when GTS was delayed. Probably large numbers.

This is why I don't think the game will sell very well when it does release.

I know there's a prevailing belief around here that GT's brand name is enough to sell millions, but this is a brand name that's become synonymous with delays, vacuum cleaner engine sounds, indestructible cars and environs, and poor AI among other issues unique to the series. This is on top of taking absurd amount of time to develop something any other developer could do in one or two years. I don't know what's happening behind the scenes, but clearly something is going very wrong and arguably has been since, or even in the run up to GT5.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that this is it for Gran Turismo.
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here, but I don't think I've seen a pessimist be proven wrong where GT is concerned. Not in the last decade.

This is why I don't think the game will sell very well when it does release.

I know there's a prevailing belief around here that GT's brand name is enough to sell millions, but this is a brand name that's become synonymous with delays, vacuum cleaner engine sounds, indestructible cars and environs, and poor AI among other issues unique to the series. This is on top of taking absurd amount of time to develop something any other developer could do in one or two years. I don't know what's happening behind the scenes, but clearly something is going very wrong and arguably has been since, or even in the run up to GT5.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that this is it for Gran Turismo.
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here, but I don't think I've seen a pessimist be proven wrong where GT is concerned. Not in the last decade.
The vitriol you see on GTP surrounding the game is but a tiny, tiny, tiny slice of the fanbase of this franchise and it's easy to come to believe the sky is falling if one gets most of their information about the game and it's fanbase from the world's largest fan forum. I'd guess most gamers that would buy this game are just wondering why the game hasn't released yet and have no idea why and don't particularly care, and, when it does release, most of them will eat it up because of the stunning visuals. GT5 and GT6 stats on game completion seem to indicate that most people that buy the game are pretty casual, rarely reaching the end of the game, rarely having a garage that is more than 5 or 10% of the available cars etc. I have no doubt they'll sell millions, the only real question is, is this genre still deep enough and is the appeal of this particular variation of the franchise, to be able to reach the lofty heights of GT5 and prior games?

@SlipZtrEm I have the feeling that GT Sport has a very difficult development proces and that there is a huge struggle between Sony and PD (internal politics / cockfighting) on where to take the series. The other worrying part is that nothing new has been shown for months and months. There are always the same handful of tracks with a decent bunch of cars. How does Sony or PD expect to fans keep interested in a series that so far only excists of a demo (public events) and some minor news on the web?

Could GT Sport be cancelled just like my mighty Scalebound did? Will Sony set things straight, skip PS4 and move directly to PS5 for the Gran Turismo series? I don't know but at this point it wouldn't even surprise me anymore.
I don't understand whats up with these two, it's like they can't show any new content for some stupid reason or another. Why are they stuffing around with the game and other factors surrounding it. Who do we point the finger at? Sony's management? Kaz? The FIA? Or are multiple parties to blame for this mess? Funny how I still have all these questions about the game, I wouldn't be asking if these people in power got their affairs in order. From a first party dev it's truly disgraceful.

The vitriol you see on GTP surrounding the game is but a tiny, tiny, tiny slice of the fanbase of this franchise and it's easy to come to believe the sky is falling if one gets most of their information about the game and it's fanbase from the world's largest fan forum. I'd guess most gamers that would buy this game are just wondering why the game hasn't released yet and have no idea why and don't particularly care, and, when it does release, most of them will eat it up because of the stunning visuals. GT5 and GT6 stats on game completion seem to indicate that most people that buy the game are pretty casual, rarely reaching the end of the game, rarely having a garage that is more than 5 or 10% of the available cars etc. I have no doubt they'll sell millions, the only real question is, is this genre still deep enough and is the appeal of this particular variation of the franchise, to be able to reach the lofty heights of GT5 and prior games?
I really doubt that. On a MMA forum the general response was "lol it still looks like a PS2 game" (despite the fact that it very much doesn’t) and when it was delayed "lol of course it is". My step brother spent months hyping GT5 up to me (and blasting me for playing Forza lol), a month after release stopped talking about it and never mentioned or bought GT6.

As much as GT fans like to point to the PS4 being the reason for the 50% drop in sales, I have a strong feeling that the multiple delays, missing features and seeing PS2 level graphics at times in a game released almost exactly 4 years into the next-gen PS3 really, really hurt it's reputation.

GT6 doing it all over again and missing a bunch of features from GT5 (that people had to already wait for in that game)? I'm sure that helped.

The fact that GTS seems to be doing it all over in terms of delays, missing features (course maker, B-SPEC, career mode[and yes, people were making fun of GTS for not having one]) and a lot less content?

All they are bothered about at the moment is a photo mode putting cars on stupid back grounds.. Instead of doing this make a racing game then make stupid photo mode a dlc.. Anyone who wants to do photos can do it to hearts content..

All they are bothered about at the moment is a photo mode putting cars on stupid back grounds.. Instead of doing this make a racing game then make stupid photo mode a dlc.. Anyone who wants to do photos can do it to hearts content..

I doubt if photo mode has anything to do with the delays - only my guess, but I think getting the game to work well with VR and optimising it for the new PS4 Pro are more likely reasons.

I really doubt that. On a MMA forum the general response was "lol it still looks like a PS2 game" (despite the fact that it very much doesn’t) and when it was delayed "lol of course it is". My step brother spent months hyping GT5 up to me (and blasting me for playing Forza lol), a month after release stopped talking about it and never mentioned or bought GT6.

As much as GT fans like to point to the PS4 being the reason for the 50% drop in sales, I have a strong feeling that the multiple delays, missing features and seeing PS2 level graphics at times in a game released almost exactly 4 years into the next-gen PS3 really, really hurt it's reputation.

GT6 doing it all over again and missing a bunch of features from GT5 (that people had to already wait for in that game)? I'm sure that helped.

The fact that GTS seems to be doing it all over in terms of delays, missing features (course maker, B-SPEC, career mode[and yes, people were making fun of GTS for not having one]) and a lot less content?
You make some good points.
And I, plus more than likely most of us here, also read many complaints on other forums.

Personally I also have many issues with the GT series, largely with 5 and 6, and for that matter what we know so far about Sport.
But I prefer to concentrate on what I like about the games.
That's just how I roll. :P

But with regard to this little discussion about public complaints and sales numbers, I'm sitting on @Johnnypenso 's side of the fence.

How many times are you going to repeat the same thing?

It's getting old.

I doubt if photo mode has anything to do with the delays - only my guess, but I think getting the game to work well with VR and optimising it for the new PS4 Pro are more likely reasons.
The most likely reason is that they haven't finished all the content yet.

They've only shown six (?) tracks and if I recall correctly none of them were completed?

The fact that they kept showing the same tracks each event seems to imply they were the only ones considered presentable. Plus the Chinese press even just before the delay announcement which showed one less track for release.

Also, the scapes complaint is kinda valid. With an absolute refusal to outsource and limited team, with scapes apparently done and zero of the tracks done, seem to imply scapes>tracks in terms of priority.

The vitriol you see on GTP surrounding the game is but a tiny, tiny, tiny slice of the fanbase... I have no doubt they'll sell millions, the only real question is, is this genre still deep enough and is the appeal of this particular variation of the franchise, to be able to reach the lofty heights of GT5 and prior games?

GTSport's reveal was pretty underwhelming as I recall. First impressions are very important, and GTSport's first impression was of a game that was barely improved on GT6 with the possible exception of graphics, which had its own issues. This is pretty bad considering that GT6 was largely considered a GT5.5. I think that was the most likely reason for its large sales drop, the PS4 having little influence (see how well GTAV did both commercially and critically in the face of a new generation).

Plus as another has pointed out, vitriol for GT is not unique to this site. If it was then I imagine I would still be a fan of GT and simply not bother coming here again. Nowadays I'm very much a critic, and I'm kicking myself for being unable to make the transition sooner. It was hard admitting that GT5 and 6 were very much crap in the face of the competition.

Another thing to point out is that the vitriol against GT overshadows any optimism for the future or happiness with the present. In fact expressing those kinds of emotions is likely to anger many users, even the moderators (who are generally more level headed than others). It's the opposite in the other sub-forums for games like Assetto Corsa or Forza where criticism is more likely to be frowned upon than praise.

The GT brand very much has a stigma attached to it now and it's not exclusive to GTP. One it's unfortunately very much deserving of considering the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back